Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Ring

I had it all planned out.

I started the minute he left for work that morning having mentally practiced all the steps the night before while he was sleeping.

I dressed quickly and then dressed the baby and put her in her carrier.

Shaking and weak, but determined, I slid into the drivers seat of the car.

As I drove thru the neighborhood towards the highway I talked to my 10 day old baby daughter who was safely buckled into her carseat in the back. I wasn't supposed to be driving yet and I wondered... what would my mom say when she found out ? What would my husband say ?


I continued to talk to my daughter, feeling more confident as I drove. "We can do this" I told her. I wanted to surprise him. He was graduating in six months and I wanted him to have a college ring. I had been saving for months. As we pulled into the University Co-op parking lot I panicked ... realizing I did not know how to open her new stroller...all of these new steps, new gadgets, all of this planning that was required just to go to the store with a new baby...

and I had thought nothing was going to change..... just because I had a baby.

That was 18 years and 2 ring sizes ago....


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

things certainly do change w/ children....things are so different. good different, bad different. but definately NOt the same! :)

Anonymous said...

how I remember those days...we have a 14 year gap between child 3 and 4...when I took him for his first doctor's visit, they called out the name Daniel and Daniel was called out once more....I had gone so many years without baby that I didn't realize that was us.....and daniel was my new sweet baby....nice post..thank you for bringing back a wonderful time in my life....

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I love the way you write, I love this story of love!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! OH I remember the first time driving with my baby. EEK! You wrote that so well.